Who else wants unique gift ideas for that special someone?
Our favorite gift idea, if the Someone You Love does not already have one, is a domain name.
Surprise somebody! Pick up a gift now from a web domain registration service.
Here are the top ten reasons to give a domain name as a present:
- It is easier to find a good domain name than a reasonably priced passive 3D TV.
- It’s hypoallergenic.
- No assembly required. (No instructions in Chinese to go through.)
- Save a tie! Your dad will be ecstatic when he doesn’t see that rectangular box under the tree.
- Save a tree — you don’t have to wrap it!
- Give someone the secret identity they’ve always wanted.
- Domains are cheap; you can register one for a year for as little as $6.95
- You won’t shoot your eye out with it!
- It can be passed down from generation to generation like a fruitcake.
- You can buy it at 11:59pm on the day before the birthday, wedding, anniversary or any special day, and still have it in time.
Owning a domain only gives you the rights to the name, e.g., johnandmary.com. It is like a declaration that the name is yours. You can go to any of the web domain registration companies such as Godaddy or Namecheap to purchase a domain name.
Making it a Better Gift
But in the event you actually choose to use the domain name for a web site, e-mail, and so on, you must have the domain hosted. Owning 1 without having hosting it can be known as “parking” the domain. Less than $10 a month gets you hosting for that domain. We have been using Hostgator for more than 8 years and it has been the best one out of 30+ hosting companies that we have tried. So bottom line, $120 (or less) buys a hosted domain for a year.
A domain is so intangible that you may want something solid to go together with it. And the obvious selection may be a set of gorgeous business cards with the new domain details on them. VistaPrint will print 250 business cards in color for 20 dollars (or free for new customers, with a nominal $10 shipping-handling fee).
Best Places to Buy
There are actually about 70 gazillion websites that let you register domain names, and an additional 30 gazillion that may host that name for you. And there is certainly plenty of overlap. There are also plenty of sites that will help you find a hosting company; check out Hosting Comparison and best hosting services.
If you do not have the time to research for the best domain registration company or web hosting, then here is our recommendations:
- Hostgator for most comprehensive DIY hosting including Sitebuilders with 4000+ unique templates, one-click-installer for lots of web applications, shopping cart, forum, and much more. Click here to try for a penny.
- Weebly for simple website builder with beautiful templates. Nothing fancy but straightforward easy-to-use website creation tool. Click here to try for free.
Domain Name Ideas
What do you do if the name you want is taken? Be creative. Change the word order. Use .net, .org, .name, & others. Try synonyms. Here are more ideas:
- Use names: www.PetersPlace.com or www.DawsonsCreek.com
- Small business owner name: www.JohnPlumbing.com
- Use nicknames: www.RockRobbert.com or www.ChefCornwall.com
- Incorporate a persons interests: www.GolferAndrew.com
- Incorporate a quirks: www.SreaminJessy.com
- Incorporate job: www.JillsALawyer.com or www.DrWilliamStevens.com
- Make a statement: www.ILoveLucy.com or www.BewareOfObama.com
- Name of pet: www.DorothysDad.com