Who else wants some unusual gift ideas for that special someone?
Our favorite gift idea, if the Someone You Love does not already have one, is a domain name.
Surprise somebody! Pick up a gift now from a web domain registration service.
Here are some reasons why it is a good idea:
- It’s hypoallergenic.
- It is easier to find a good domain name than an iPhone 5.
- No assembly required. (No instructions in foreign languages to fumble through.)
- Save a tie! Your dad will be ecstatic when he doesn’t see that rectangular box under the tree.
- Save a tree — you don’t have to wrap it!
- Give someone the secret identity they’ve always wanted.
- Domains are cheap; you can register one for a year for as little as $6.95
- You won’t shoot your eye out with it!
- It can be passed down from generation to generation like a fruitcake.
- You can buy it at 11:59pm on the day before the birthday, wedding, anniversary or any special day, and still have it in time.
Owning a domain only gives you the rights to the name, e.g., johnandmary.com. It is like a declaration that the name is yours. You can go to any of the web domain registration companies such as Godaddy or Namecheap to purchase a domain name.
More Gifts Ideas
But if you really choose to use the domain name for a web site, email, etc., you will want to have the domain hosted. Owning one with out hosting it can be called “parking” the domain. Less than $10 a month gets you hosting for that domain. We have been using Hostgator for more than 8 years and it has been the best one out of 30+ hosting companies that we have tried. So bottom line, $120 (or less) buys a hosted domain for a year.
A domain is so “virtual” that you may want something solid to go together with it. As well as the obvious selection may be a set of beautiful business cards with the new domain details on them. VistaPrint will print 250 business cards in color for 20 dollars (or absolutely free for new buyers, with a sub-$10 shipping-handling fee).
Best Companies to Use
There are about 70 gazillion sites that let you register domain names, and yet another 92 gazillion that will host that name for you. And there is plenty of overlap. There is a huge number of of sites that will help you find a hosting company; check out Hosting Comparison and Multiple Domain Hosting.
If you do not have the time to research for the best domain registration company or web hosting, then here is our recommendations:
- Hostgator for most comprehensive DIY hosting including Sitebuilders with 4000+ unique templates, one-click-installer for lots of web applications, shopping cart, forum, and much more. Click here to try for a penny.
- Weebly for simple website builder with beautiful templates. Nothing fancy but straightforward easy-to-use website creation tool. Click here to try for free.
Domain Name Ideas
What do you do if the name you want is taken? Be creative. Change the word order. Use .net, .org, .name, & others. Try synonyms. Here are more ideas:
- Use names: www.PetersPlace.com or www.DawsonsCreek.com
- Small business owner name: www.JohnPlumbing.com
- Use nicknames: www.RockRobbert.com or www.ChefCornwall.com
- Incorporate a persons interests: www.GolferAndrew.com
- Incorporate a quirks: www.SreaminJessy.com
- Incorporate job: www.JillsALawyer.com or www.DrWilliamStevens.com
- Make a statement: www.ILoveLucy.com or www.BewareOfObama.com
- Name of pet: www.DorothysDad.com